Saturday, May 16, 2009

Car Hurtling and the Moonlit Trails

Running after the twilight of sunset has become a contemporary practice of mine in these days of late, with the darkness presenting me with an alternative to the traditional sunny jaunts. The budding trees and sparse light of the street-bulbs flooding through above as I hug the yellow lines running in the center of the street, my body is a robot and my soul the ghost in the machine. My road-dog Ryan joined me last eve for a run which rose above the concrete into the wooded paths of Newton Hill, the ground and all around nearly pitch as one's vision turns black-and-white, dangling branches pushed away as others are crushed and cracked underfoot. Coming down and out of the woods, sprinting across a busy city street, headlights flashing, I realize I need something more, something beyond the norm. Cars are all over, impeding my progress as I duck and dodge, and suddenly realize, why go around when you can go over? And so the game is made, cars are given points in their order of difficulty, a sedan being 1, SUV 2, Truck 3, and so on, with multiple cars strung together creating a multiplier. For example, were I to trample over a car then leap onto the hood of a truck and then ground it, I'd be awarded 1+3 being 4, times 2 as a pair of vehicles were strung together, and thus 8 points total. I've achieved 1 thus far, Ryan 0, but I'm not worried about it, there is time, and the competition has only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment