Sunday, January 18, 2009

<[{ I'm "Swayze" }]> and Rap Evolution

A commonly used term in hip-hop, as in "When he drop, take his glock, and I'm Swayze", a statement made by the Notorious B.I.G. in regards to this storied and hopefully fictitious murder of an officer. I think Sublime's use of the "187 on a mutha fuckin' cop" line was rather distasteful in "April 29th, 1992", however given the topical nature and relation to the film's plot in the line's song of origin, "Deep Cover" by Snoop and Dre off the soundtrack to a film of the same name, was okay that time. Stepping back, this was a light-bulb-like meaning realization that blinged into my mind's eye that last time I heard "Swayze", and I finally realized what it means mehn! Oh my! It means to be gone, to be, like Patrick's most famous role, a Ghost. "Bust a nut and I'm Swayze" is the most commonly used iteration, although Tupac's version of the same statement, "After I nut I hit the highway" has more immediate impact, but less of a lasting effect and no deeper meaning, beyond the act itself described. Porch light.

No comments:

Post a Comment